Saturday, October 3, 2009

2007 Alamos Seleccion Malbec


2007 Alamos Seleccion Malbec - Argentina, $16. This wine is grown in an area south of Mendoza called La Consulta, it is a cool climate for the malbec grape to grow in. This estate grown wine is produced by the Catena winery under their Alamos label. Alamos wines are some of my favorite value wines, for the price they are very hard to match. This wine is the high end of the Alamos label, the Seleccion. This is my first time having the Seleccion wines, and I am impressed. This malbec has a deep dark blackish purple color, good structure and a smooth finish. It has a bit more acidity than most Argentinian malbecs. The one thing you must know about this wine is that it needs to breathe. I recommend this wine for decanting and if you're too lazy to drop it in a decanter like I am, this wine needs to sit out for at least 45 minutes to an hour. Tasting it after it had only been opened a few minutes, I wasn't feeling this wine, but after a while it softened up and became a malbec I expect. I like this wine and I recommend you trying it, it should be relatively easy to find; Alamos has a good distribution. And if you can't find this one I recommend trying any malbec you can find that is grown in the La Consulta region, they are very distinctive.

No comments: