Monday, October 26, 2009

2005 Fattoria del Cerro Vino Nobile di Montepulciano


2005 Fattoria del Cerro, Vino Nobile de Montepulciano - $12 from Italy. This is a wine is a winner in my book, a dark smooth wine with enough acidity to make you want to eat. I find my self eating a lot of pasta with red sauce these days and the wines I want to drink with these types of meals are dry reds from Italy. This one definitely delivers on the quality to price ratio. The Fattoria del Cerro estate has 385 acres of vineyards in the Montepulciano area of Tuscany. This wine is a blend of 80% Prungnolo Gentile (this is some type of clone of Sangiovese) and 20% Canaiolo Nero and Mammolo. I know and am familiar with Sangiovese, but I have no idea about Canaiolo Nero and Mammolo but apparently there good because this wine is solid. This wine is aged mostly in Slavonian oak casks and a smaller percentage in small French oak barrels. The wine will hold up to meals with lots of flavors, like pastas, casseroles, and definitely red meats. I recommend picking up a bottle of this stuff, I got mine at Costco.

No comments: