Sunday, March 22, 2009

2005 La Font du Vent "Notre Passion" Cotes du Rhone Villages


2005 La Font du Vent "Notre Passion" Cotes du Rhone Villages - $15 France. The winery is owned by the Gonnet family which also make wine in the more prestigious Chateauneuf-du-Pape appellation. The Gonnet family uses the same specifications required in Chateauneuf; such as low yields, crop thinning, and hand harvesting, to make this wine. Robert Kacher Selections (the importer of this wine), calls this wine a baby Chateauneuf-du-Pape. I've heard this phrase used a lot but this time I agree, this quality in this wine over delivers for the price. This wine is a blend of 50% Grenache, 50% Syrah. The Notre Passion has aromas of earthiness and must with flavors of dark berries and dark cherries. The wine is well balanced with soft tannins and a dry finish. When I first tasted the wine it tasted scary, but after 30 minutes or so the wine opened right up and became a really good wine. I like this stuff, it's better than most of the Cotes du Rhone wines I usually have. I recommend this wine but it might be hard to find this vintage, at this point lower priced '05's are almost gone. Someone gave me this bottle so I'm not exactly sure of the price or where to buy it. I think that Total Wine carries a lot of the Rober Kacher Selections so that is where I would look.

No comments: