Friday, February 6, 2009

2007 Seghesio Sonoma County Zinfandel


2007 Seghesio Sonoma County Zinfandel - $23 California. This is it, this wine is the most hyped wine I have ever seen; and it totally lives up to the hype. This wine is nothing short of amazing, spectacular, etc. This vintage received 93 points from the Wine Spectator (the highest rating ever for this wine) and they named it #10 on their list of Top 100 wines of the world. It is also the cheapest wine in the top 10, the combination of high quality and low price made this wine an incredible value. Seghesio made 68,000 cases of this wine and you can't get it (or you will have to try very hard), for a wine made in such quantity it's hard to believe that you can't buy it. I used to sell this wine but after the Top 100 came out I could no longer buy it from the distributor because it had been allocated, that means the wine is only sold to restaurants. They aren't even pouring this wine at the winery (I was there last week and couldn't get any).

Now to the wine, it really is good. This is my favorite Zinfandel and this is the best vintage of this wine that I've had (I think I've had 5 vintages but at least the last 4). It is a blend of different zinfandel vineyards in Sonoma County; some of which the Seghesio family have been farming for over a century, with a bit of petite sirah to add complexity and depth. It has a powerful nose with aromas of dark berries that darn near rise right out of the glass. The color is dark purple red that extends all the way to the edge of the glass. The big dark flavors of this wine blend seamlessly together with a silky mouthfeel that is incredibly well balanced. The tannins are soft but persistent and the finish lasts for days. Big flavor. This wine comes in at 15.5% alcohol content, and to me that is a lot. The high alcohol doesn't detract from this wine at all, you don't smell it on the nose and you don't taste it, but after a few minutes you definitely feel it.

If you can get your hands on this wine, congratulations! If you can't buy this vintage don't worry, I still see the '06 on some shelves and it is an excellent wine, and it's still my favorite zinfandel. Then the '08 vintage will come out around Nov/Dec. and it's almost guaranteed to be at least good. This is a quality wine vintage to vintage.

2 comments:

BD said...

how much is it? where can I get it? hook that info up too

The Unmanageable said...

Cost is around $23 and I still see the '06 on the shelf at Kroger, the '06 is still a great wine, that I highly recommend